Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Post-partum Confessions: Diastasis Recti

diastasis recti
Diastasis Recti is not something you're warned about before getting pregnant.  But really, there are things you can do before getting pregnant to strengthen your body.  There just aren't enough people talking about it!

Earlier this year, I shared how I discovered my diastasis and the 3 Things I had to Re-learn after my diastasis recti diagnosis.

In addition, I got to be a part of this news story with CBS 11 to help bring more awareness to women about DRA (diastasis rectus abdominus).  It was incredible to get to share my story and help women better understand the condition.

If you are looking for more information, Ashley, the physical therapist I worked with for the story, has a great blog and additional information.

The physical therapist I worked with after my DRA diagnosis has since set up a website where you can consult with her about any of your pelvic floor issues (it's all connected!).  Don't give up hope if you think you might have issues!  Also, follow her on Instagram, thevaginawhisperer...it's cheeky and informative, all at the same time.

Not only that, but if you are post-partum and not seeing a chiropractor, you should definitely get to one.  A chiropractor can make sure your body heals properly after carrying a baby for 9...or 10...months.  I shared how my very favorite chiro helped me post-partum and through my DRA diagnosis too!

I'm not 100% healed even three years after giving birth, but I'm much stronger and able to handle a lot more.

I can't stress how important it is to talk to your doctor or a women's physical therapist about these things if you are concerned you have an issue. 

These are some of the signs of Diastasis Recti: 

  • bladder prolapse
  • bowel pain
  • sexual dysfunction
  • back pain
  • pelvic pain
I had no idea the difference a physical therapist would make for me after my diagnosis, but it was one of the best things I could have done.  Be encouraged and talk to your doctor!

No comments: